Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A father's speech

A few nights ago, I attended my sister's wedding (again) at a hotel in PJ. This time, the wedding was organized by her husband's parents. Nice and sweet event I must. It had a Arabian-Moroccon themed styled wedding. Wonder why people nowadays have all this autumn or arabian 'styled' weddings. What ever happened to those traditional Malay weddings eh?

Anyways, during the wedding, Che Man's father gave a wonderful speech. He talked a lot about che man and one of his advices to the new couple is to 'MANAGE YOUR FINANCES REALLY WELL'.

I like it when he stresses on the importance of managing their finances. Now that they are married, both of them are responsible in choosing and identifying what's best for them. Of course, to be finacially stable is very important for everyone. It includes you and me.

If you don't manage you finances well, you may ended doing the wrong things, Buying unnecessary stuff, Investing in the wrong places and bla bla bla. All that can go wrong, will go wrong.

I have to admit, that I wasn't able to manage my finances well during my late 20s. I regretted it but Alhamdulillah I learnt from it. I'm not saying that I'm managing my finances superbly now but at least it's better then it was 8 or 10 years ago. I found a site that simply had 5 'simple' ways to manage your finances. Here goes:

1) Earn Income(s)
2) Live within your means (Uncle Din stressed this point as well)
3) Save Money
4) Invest wisely
5) Have a plan and stick to it

Sounds easy eh? In reality though, it can be difficult if you have not done it. I think, some people that i've met, material wealth is important. Having nice & big house is important. Driving flashy cars is important. Wearing designer watches and handbags are important. The list goes on. Let me tell you, I've been in the shithole of having bad debts around me a couple of years ago. I buy all the unnecessary things and stuff that I thought would make me a happy guy. It doesn't and like I said, I regretted it. Thank God, I came to my senses and have been able to control my emotions especially in terms of managing my financial resources.

Think of it this way. Your income is X amount. Your expenses is Y amount. You must make bloody sure that your Y does not exceed the X amount every month. What's the point of having bad debts around you? Are you working hard to pay your debts? Are you working hard to pay off those credit card bills? Do you think that just by paying the minimum 5% of your total credit card bills will make you sleep easier at night? Or are you working hard to be financially secured? The decision,ladies and gentlemen, is entirely yours.

All of us, each were given a brain by the Almighty to think what's right and wrong. So think carefully and manage your finances well. Thank you Uncle Din for a such wonderful speech. Thank you for the inspiration as well.......

Have a good day....

1 comment: