Friday, March 13, 2009

SPM results..........

For the last couple of days, we've heard on the news that X amount of students get 10 A's or 11A's for the their SPM result. Well, first of all, I would like to congratulate of all them no matter how many A's or B's or C's or even D's that they might get. I had one of my relatives, she got 7 A's and 2 B's but was told that she was disappointed with her result....cheer up girl!!!...there's more to come!!!

Well...I remember during my SPM days, It was in 1994 and all I got was 3 A's. To a certain extent I was very happy with the result as I thought I'll get grade 2 or something like that. I wasn't a good student during those days. But still, getting aggregate 18 was quite an achievement for me. Hehehe. The reaction from my parents was very cold...I do not know whether they were happy or sad but there was practically no emotion at all....However, looking back at where I am now and compared it to the time when I was 17....I've travelled one hell of journey. Full of surprises, sadness, happiness and what have you....

It hasn't been easy I must admit...but I'm enjoying it. During those days, I've always thought that I need to study hard, get a degree and my future will be secured. Well...to be frank, having done all that, it does not guarantee my future at all. NIL!! What it does was, it gave me the opportunity to knock on the employer's door that were looking for recently grad students. So what do you do when you work for someone else? Well...your future is at the mercy of the employers...They own you and you're answerable to them. Clock in at 830am and clock out 5.30pm....Day in, day out.

Then you'll get your first pay check and of course, you're really happy. The next thing you do is to get yourself a car, fancy enough to impress your dream girl. Then comes the plastic card where you hope to pay the 5% monthly installments...At the end of every month, with only one source of income, you suddenly realised that you've spend more than you earn and yet, you still use the plastic card to pay for your expenses. Clubbing, sipping coffee at some fancy coffee shops will be the thing to do as you see your colleagues or friends doing the same thing...

So what do you do next? Get another plastic card. Hehehehe....Then comes the dating part. Dating for me means money. Movies, eating out doors, hang out...it costs money. You have not included your hobby as yet!! So what do you do? work like a dog with daily overtime and hope to make some money on top of your monthly salary. Well...it's good...but what causes you to do such thing? Obviously, there are some of us other there, spend freely than what they actually earns...

My point here anyway is, SPM for me is the first of many exams that one would face in growing up. At 17, well perhaps it meant a lot, but asking a 31 year old guy like myself, it's just another exam. The real exam is life. What you do today matters most!! In schools, colleges or universities, the teachers or lecturers, they don't actually teach us about life. They practically teach us how to pass the exams, get good grades and hope to enter a good company later.

Life is not that simple. Period!! Life can be hard and life can be easy. It depends on how you plan your life. So, if you don't have a solid plan of what you wanna do with your life for the next 1 year, 2 years, 3 years and so on, you better start planning now. With that plan in hand, you'll have a road map of where you wanna go and how you wanna get there. Sounds very simple eh?

It is simple indeed, but only if you put your heart and soul to it. It will mean nothing if you only scribble it on a piece of paper and let it be forever. I can't actually advice on your life's plan as only you, yourself know what you want with your life.

Sometimes, dreams are important. It makes us smile when we dream. So maybe perhaps, a good way to plan is to start dreaming. Hehehe. I know it's funny but perhaps, you'll get what you want later in life.....

Have a good weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment