Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Tioman....Diving and the MAN...Part 3



Day 3.....

Woke up more or less the same time as the previous day...This time i dread to wake up as i have no mood to go for a dive. Like I mentioned in my previous postings, I wouldn't be able to get my diver's license, so if i decide to dive today, and if all goes well...at least, i'll prove to myself that I can more or less do it...

After breakfast, I decided to take the plunge and head out to the open sea with the others. I felt like a student that has been forced to go back to the hostel right after holidays...hahahaha



Anyways, the dive site was about 20 minutes boat ride from Kampung Paya and if i'm not mistaken it is called pilot's reef. Upon reaching the dive site, i put on my gear and stuff. I can feel that I was a little nervous as I still remembered yesterday's bad experience. After a nice back-roll entry, I was on the surface with my new instructor and he actually did quite a good job in helping me to stay calm and relax..Before descending, he ask me to breath normally and take a look at the bottom of the sea and once I'm ready, he'll guide me throughout the whole dive...



I must confess though, i was pretty relaxed throughout the dive that lasts about 45 minutes. I didn't know that i managed to dive up to a depth of 15 metres. Not bad for a first 'official' dive. It was awkward at first with all those gears and equipment, plus breathing using your mouth...I have to say, it wasn't easy...but i blocked my bad thoughts and just follow the instructor's guide. I enjoyed it but at the same time, struggled a little bit...Of course, I need to build up my confidence in moving underwater.

as mentioned..the dive lasts about 45 minutes and after everything was over, I went up to the boat and kept smiling. My friends were happy to see me smiling as I think they understand i've been through yesterday...I said to myself, I finally overcome my fear...well, at least, I managed to dive without getting panicked or what so ever...heheheh

The instructor gave me an ok sign and he said that I just need to build up my confidence, relax a little bit and more dive practice and I should be ok...




So after relaxing for about an hour, we then head to our second and final dive site for the trip, which is to renggis. After going through the same process of setting up my gears and equipment, we start to dive using buoy line. It was ok I think. Again, due to the lack of experience, I struggled a wee bit. This time, I had the opportunity to at least see lots of colourful marine life and the depth was about 17 metres. Not bad eh?. Hehehehe. At times, I wanted to go up but the instructor ask me to relax and managed to calm myself down..The instructor kept suggesting me to clear my mask as my mask tend to fog easily...damn it....



After about 30 minutes, we started our ascend and upon reaching the surface, I told myself that I'm glad that I decided to dive today. After what i've gone through the previous day, I needed this to bury my bad thoughts about diving. It can be fun if you are relaxed but it can be something serious if you panic....

All in all...It was a mixed experience for me. Some bad and some good. Of course, an educational too. At the end of the day, I decided to continue my education and earn my license as well as finish up what I started...even if I don't dive anymore at least, I have a license to show myself that I overcome my fear...




After packing and lunch, at about 3 pm, all of us head home. The journey from the jetty to Tanjung Gemuk took us about an hour plus. We had a short stop somewhere near rompin for some udang galah for dinner and then we head straight to KL. During the journey, I had a long chat with mufid and fahmy about my thoughts and experience about the dives and obviously we exchange ideas. Some funny and some serious thoughts.....



I guess, it was nice to be among people that were so passionate with diving. It was indeed an experience for me. I'll be back in Tioman hopefully in a month's time to complete what i've started....

1 comment:

  1. bravo!... suspen baca part 2..
    good luck bro!

    ReplyDelete