Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tioman....Diving and the MAN...Part 2


Day 2..

Woke up at about 8am. I do not know why but felt something strange when I woke up. After a nice nasi lemak & teh tarik at the stall in front of our chalet, we then collect our gears (regulators, bcd, weight belts, fins, mask) at the dive centre. A few mintes later,we were off on a boat to do our first dive in the open sea. I was excited and nervous at the same time. I decided to take novomin (travel sickness) pill so that I won't feel nauseated during the boat ride. The journey took us about an hour and upon reaching the dive site all of us were instructed to put on our gear.

The dive instructer then taught us on how to do a 'back-roll' entry and I was the last one to do it. Once on the surface, I felt strange and I can feel that I was 'drifting' away from the group. Before I could settle myself comfortably on the surface, I heard the instructor's voice yelling MASK ON!!....REGULATOR ON!! and wallla.....everybody starts disappearing into the sea.....

As for me, I was struggling and decided to take the plunge....Before I know it, my vision starts to 'twirl' and i get disoriented....for some strange reason, i was breathing erratically and I panicked....I tried to go up as fast as I can...once I reached the surface, I was pulled back underwater...i became like a yo-yo...i thought that was it...my life was like flashing in front of me when i was pulled up by a boatman....that was close...i quickly inflated the BCD and take a breather....

I was thinking to myself...where was my buddy...even worse...where was the instructor....after a few minutes hanging on to the boat, the instructor's assistant came over and tow me to the boat....upon reaching to the boat....i decided not continue with the dive....after what i've gone through...it's best that i don't continue....in fact, a PADI instructor on the same boat told me the same....

So, during the 2nd dive at the different dive site, I said to myself, why not I try again...everything was ok till the 10 meter or so. My breathing was ok...my descend was ok but I felt strange as I felt i was in a confined space...and the space was getting smaller and smaller...I then made the hand signal that I was not ok to the instructor....and he ask me to go up....

Upon reaching the surface...I knew at the back of my mind that I won't get the license as you need 4 dives to get the license...On the boat I spoke to fahmy that I think diving is totally not for me...I remove all my gears and stuff and sat down at the boat feeling frustrated and dejected...I was thinking 'another failure in my life...I was thinking why i can't do it while somebody else can...

Obviously, I know that my 'classmates' had no problems with all their dives...At the same time, I guess that diving is just not for me and I was ready to call it quit. In fact, there's another dive session that afternoon that I decide not to go...I'd rather spend my time on the beach rather than having unnecessary pressure...it was no fun as what it was supposed to be in the first place....

Upon reaching the chalet about an hour later, I took my shower and had a good time eating at the warung...this was more fun than diving i said...

Nothing much done for the rest of the day except that fact during dinner time I was introduced by a newly licensed instructoe called syam. Spoke to him about my earlier encounter and he just nodded. He however, decided to take me to dive with him for tomorrow's dive. He said he will guide me all the way during the dive. I wasn't impressed at first and said that I'm not sure whether I wanna dive anymore after what i've been through earlier in the day...he suggested me to think about it and hope that i'll dive tomorrow...

About midnight, some of us, including me decided to call it a day....

Talking about experience...I just experience a fatal experience that could result in brain damage or worse, death....that was close....very close......

No comments:

Post a Comment