Monday, September 13, 2010

Tanah....Sawit....huhhhhh???

During the raya holidays, I had the opportunity to talk to my wife's uncle. It started with the normal casual chat...and as the time goes, it gets interesting. Especially when he started talking about land and developing it. Of course, I had zero knowledge in terms of land....even more so developing it...

Initially we spoke about the properties market and obviously the importance of having assets for investments. He liked what I do and I told him what my plans are for the next one year. He mentioned, he would do the same if he is younger. But since retiring, he now spends most of his time taking care of his school going childrens and of course, some land that he leased and bought about 2-3 years back.

One of the topics that came out that night was buying some lands and developing it into a small palm oil estates. He mentioned something about koperasi keluarga (of which I had no clue about)....He also mentioned that there are acres and acres of available land to developed surrounding the kampung and suggested that I should consider in buying a few acres for my family. The returns are reasonably huge according to him. Like I mentioned earlier, I have zero knowledge about land, how to buy, where to buy, bla bla bla...lagi2 kalau cerita nak tanam kelapa sawit....

I told him, it could take sometime before plunging myself into this 'purchasing land' thingy. I need to find more infos about it. Of course, I'm interested as I think it's about time I need to purchase a land for myself and the family. My dad for some strange reason doesn't have any land so I thought, maybe it's just right for me to own one. Hehehehehe.

Don't know lah. I need to think this very thoroughly and properly. Even during a conversation that I had with a friend who is into this 'land developing' industry earlier this morning said that such investments would require at least 5 years before we can see any returns. He did that with his father and now they are reaping huge rewards for it.

As far as I'm concerned, having a land is as important as having a property. It could be included in my plan for 2011. At least, susah2 nanti boleh jual kan?

Suddenly, that saying 'Don't put all your investments in one basket' seemed very true....

I guess, sometimes the window of opportunity would come at a time that you least expect. Hehehehe. Like I said...it's still all very blurry to me but something tells me that it's worthwhile to be looked at....and of course...do something about it....

Have a nice day....

2 comments:

  1. That's true Abe. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

    Property might sound like a safe bet now but mark my words, if things go uncontrolled over in Malaysia as it did in Ireland, a lot of people will be in a world of pain when the bubble bursts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why BNM now is taking all the necessary measures to contain the bubble. It's heading that way as prices of properties in Klang valley, Penang has escalated to unreasonable amounts.

    Anyways, what happened to Ireland? No longer Celtic Tiger kah?

    ReplyDelete