Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Blast from the past: Kids Nowadays

A week or so ago, I think, almost everyone here in Malaysia has had the opportunity in reading or hearing the news that some school kids apparently attacked their teacher. So I was thinking to myself, what kind of society have we become? Are we so low now that our kids do not even have the slightest respect for their teachers. Teachers are like Captains of the ships. He or she determines where the ship would sail. He or she helps the crew in ensuring the ship will arrive on time. Teachers, plays a big role in molding or helping students in being a useful human being later in their life. Back to reality however, after learning such news, it saddens me to the point that I'm afraid to think of what will be our son's and daughter's futures will be.

Those days, I have to admit though, I'm not those popular or grade A student. I've had my fair share of public cannings, monthly visitations to the prefect's room as well as being 'tortured' by the disciplinary teacher. Well, it was my fault anyway. I shouldn't have 'ponteng sekolah' or 'lepaking' at the snooker center at Pak Peng during school hours. Come to think of it, it was fun though and I've always thought that it was all part of growing up and learning. In saying that, I've always had the highest respect for teachers. Yes, I've been shouted at before, humiliated (to a certain extent) before, being caned so many times before but I've never had the guts to retaliate to those teachers. Those days, sometimes, I more afraid of the teachers than my parents.

Coming back to the student vs. teacher story, I felt sorry for the teacher. She had sacrificed her time and dedicates her life in nurturing those students. After all, all she wanted was her students to do well in the exams and in life (in general). I wonder what she felt after that incident. I would like to think that this issue needs to be carefully solved and whoever they maybe, please find the reasons as to what made those students to act in such a way?

Can we put the blame on the parents? Maybe to a certain extent. With the economic and political uncertainties now, perhaps, parents themselves have other priorites and let the 'educating-my-children' part solely and 100% to the teachers. A friend of mine spoke at lenght about this where he is the PIBG president of his son's school, that during the PIBG meeting where only 50 parents decided to attend out of possible 600 plus. When parents themselves are not interested with their children activities, how is it possible to let one teacher in helping 30-odd students at one time? Based on that, are we naive enough now that we let the teachers in educating our sons and daughters? I've always believed that the failures of the sons and daughters are merely caused by the failures of the fathers and mothers in raising up their kids.

Whatever it is, I am what I am today is because of the dedication of my parents as well as with the help of my teachers since 1983 right up to 2008. That's like 25 years of life-long learning. I can't remember all of their names but I value and appreciate their efforts in helping to choose what is right and what is wrong. Perhaps, I could become a teacher or a tutor one day....

Note: This blog was written on 22nd Oct 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment