Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Inspiration...and Determination

I've always on the look out for new opportunities especially in business in general. What kind of business u may ask? Well, whatever business that is easy and profitable. Hehehe. Everyone wants to do that kind of business isn't it? Well, unfortunately not everyone is capable of doing it. In life, there are thousands and thousands who started a business but yet failed within 5 years of commencing business.

I take myself for example, I remembered a couple of years ago when someone approached me to tag along with him in supplying coating materials to the end users. It was exciting at first and looks ok but when I decided to 'plunge' myself into the industry, it was difficult and every door that i knocked were closed shut as soon as I open my mouth. It went on month after month and eventually i decided to call it quits. I know and realised my mistakes after making the decision to quit as what's the point doing something that you know for the fact that won't give you a reasonable return. Perhaps, inexperience and lack of knowledge plus the fact that I'm from a different industry probable the main reasons that I did not have any success in it.

Anyway, that's history now and the company that I set up in dealing with the coating material now has been changed to a trading & services company. ALthough the money generated is not big but at least I gain a wee bit of profit from it. Not bad for a one-man show company eh? Anyway, I believe that if I were to put extra effort in it, I might be able to improve the company and make it more profitable

Anyway, talking about improving the company, recently I had the opportunity to visit an old friend. He now owns a pretty successful firm and even have his own factory producing energy-related stuff. So I went to his factory in Shah ALam the other day and had the opportunity to see his factory and he talked enthusiastically about his products and amount of money and contracts he has own. To a certain extent, I admire his achievements as we are at the same age from the same school. I felt proud that a friend of mine had actually made it big time!!

During the visit, he took the opportunity to show me the first govt contract that he won. I have to say, i have never seen such a huge amount of contract before in my life and let me be frank, the contract is worth more than RM15m. Right in front of my eyes!!! So I ask him, how do it and perhaps he will share some infos with me. Wow! it's an amazing achievement for a 32 years old guy ehh...

Obviously he said, with the right connections and networks, nothing is impossible. I then jokingly ask him whether I can supply some stuff to him and he said it shouldn't be a problem. Hehehehe. He even said everyone will have their time and he said, I'll just have to wait for my time and it will come provided we work hard towards it....

Like I said, I'm proud of his achievements so far and I can say he will be in the national news real soon!! To a certain extent, his achievement has been an inspiration for me. Well, we have different goals to achieve in life and sometimes we tend to forget those goals and be a wee bit complacent. My meeting with this friend of mind has given me a good kick in-the-arse so that I wake up and work a bit smarter!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment