Sunday, April 17, 2011

MMO.......

I spent two days last week at the wonderful KLGCC to watch the Malaysian Open.

I was lucky enough on the first day to be able to follow Charl Schwartzel, Noh (Defending Champ) and Louis Oosthuizen (2010 British Open Champion). Seeing these pros playing their magnificent golf is something that I will remember for a long-long time. Well, it's not everyday that the Master's Champion is in town kan? Anyway, I followed them for about 11 holes before I decided to head out and fetch Kecik from school. On the way out, I managed to hang out for a couple of minutes at the range to see Rory McIlroy hitting few balls. Man, I love the way he swings the club.....




Johan Edfors




Jeev Milkha Singh (Nice swing!!). Matteo Mannasero (this year's champion) was in the same flight as well.




Charl Schwartzel



Louis Oosthuizen


Rory McIlroy

On the 2nd day, I managed to follow Rory's flight that consist of rory, Martin Kaymer (World No 1) and Thongchai Jaidee. Seeing Thongchai really close at times showed me how fit he is and he is 40 years old. Nice man and always acknowledge whenever the spectator call his name!! Malaysian golfers should look up to players like Thongchai and some other Thai players for some inspirations and how determined and disciplined they are in playing the game...We should take a hard look at ourselves and it will be a long way to go before we can even produce an Asian Class golfer.

Anyway, one thing that I learn from watching these wonderful people was their approach before their shots. Their focus and tempo is always the same, every-time. They will take their time talking to their caddies, take a few practice swings and then......booom....the ball is on the fairway or on the green. Really magical.....



Big crowd following Rory, Martin and Thongchai






World No 1



Thongchai........


Magnificent Par 3 Hole. Only Rory managed to get into the green while Martin and Thongchai fell short and went into the bunker


Rory's girlfriend


Big Crowd again


The scoreboard before I left for Friday prayers.

To be honest, in my opinion, this year's edition of the Malaysian Open is and perhaps the best Malaysian Open ever. The crowd was good and obviously there were few 'unfortunate' incidents happened when some of these spectators happily clicking their cameras when there was a sign that no cameras are allowed when the players are about to hit their shots. Dungu seems to be the correct word for some of these people. Takde etika langsung. There was one incident at Hole no 17 when Rory himself had to 'plead' to the spectators to put down their cameras. Hahahaha.

Anyways, I enjoyed it although I didn't manage to go and see them on the final rounds over the weekend. A 17 year old kid from Italy won the Malaysian Open by the way.


Congrats Matteo!!


The best result for the Asian player came from a golfer from Bangladesh who occupied the 8th place. Comparing him to our local players, our local players has all the facilities needed to be a top player but unfortunately, something went wrong along the way. Like I mentioned earlier, our local players need to take a hard look at themselves. There's no point getting into a tournament on the basis that local players must have certain slots to be given to 'em. That's just wrong.


Anyways...Like I said, I enjoyed the tournament and hope it'll be better next year.

Oh by the way, I saw an article on Sunday regarding golf. Funny and at the same time....weird....

Hahahahahah

2 comments: