Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Orang Muda boleh pakai BMW


I saw a status update of my cousin in Facebook. She said something like this in her status updates: just saw an ad: orang muda boleh pakai BMW.

It certainly caught my attention though. The creator of that ad must be somekind of a brilliant egghead. For me, by using BMW as a car when you are young, what does that show? Obviously, it'll show you have loads of money, have a successful business or maybe, it's mama's or papa's car.

What I can't grasp is, why would the author/creator wanna write an ad something like that? Is that what matters? Does that tagline sells? Well, maybe it does to some but certainly not me. Perhaps, owning or driving flashy cars might be the dream for some. I dream of it as well, but I don't dwell on it as I think, flashy cars means money..moolahh...and if you have loads of it and if you don't know what to do with the money, get yourself a nice BMW.

How much does a BMW costs (in MYR) nowadays eh? Since I drive an out-dated Honda, I wouldn't have a clue as to how much it costs. I would assume that it'll cost around RM250,000. Maybe that for the 3 Series lah. Ok...Let's further assumed that you are so eager to get a BMW and you decided to for the 320 Model. The price wud be around RM250k. The downpayment is usually 10%. So it means, you have to pay RM25000 for the downpayment. Let's again assumed the interest charged by the bank is 3% by Abe Power bank and the repayment period is for 7 years (84 months). Hence, the monthly commitment that you have to pay for owning the BMW is about RM3,241. Betul ke?...Maybe interest ada yg lower kot. I don't know....

Huh...banyak tuh..So monthly commitment to your car is RM3,241. Ideally, a car loan shouldn't be more than errr....30% of your total monthly income. It means, that the minimum that you should earn in a month to get you to drive the damn car conmfortably is about RM11,000. Still, you have not taken into consideration the living expenses, the fuel, the rent, astro, phone, etc...dennngg............

Wow....i guess, it's not easy to own of those flashy cars eh. I can only admire for those who can afford such luxury. Of course, sometimes, I do have the urge to buy but, I don't think it's worth the headache.

Plus, although I agree some part of the the tagline: Org muda boleh pakai BM,. Beli boleh but maintaining it would be a problem. (unless you buy it through a company that will be a better idea as your debt exposure is minimised and can be used to build something else) Paying loan of about RM3k per month for a depreciative asset is like throwing money into the fire. You'll never get it back. Hehehe. You can say bye-bye to it.

Again though, I'm just thinking and writing from my point of view. Perhaps, my opinion is taken from what I'm experiencing daily as I have a couple of friends that drives flashy cars (but sometimes complain about paying the monthly installments). If it is me, I wouldn't mind paying thousands of ringgit for my properties as I know, 99% of the time, it will gimme a positive returns at the end of the day (it will better if someone else pays for the loans). I wouldn't wanna do something that I will regret and ending up on the losing side and make the banks richer by a few thousands.

err....have a nice day...and orang muda boleh pakai BM. So what...........?

2 comments: