Monday, July 6, 2009

Tok Wok...



Today will mark the 1st week that atok has been warded to Gleneagles hospital in Ampang. Last week on Tuesday, she was admitted to the HDU (High Dependency Unit) and was discharged only on thursday to the normal ward. So for the last few days, myself and the rest of our big family has been going back and forth to the hospital to visit her and spend some time with her.

Atok no longer have the strength to walk or even stand nowadays. If I can remember correctly, atok's health has been severely deteriorating since kecik's cukur jambul in 2007. Then, towards the middle of 2007, the doctor said her kidney is failing and she will have to undergo CAPD (Continous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis) . This CAPD thingy needed to be done every night. Obviously she was quite upset but it needed to be done.

Various discussion among family members were done on where to place her for her nightly treatment. It was agreed that she would spend a few months at my aunt's house in Ampang and a few months in my mom's place in D'sara. It was also agreed that she can go back to her home in Muar for a couple of weeks. During her stay in mom's place, I can see that Ibu was always trying her level best to comfort her. Sometimes, I can see the tiredness from my mom in taking care of atok. During those times, we tried to get ourselves a maid, but unfortunately, the maids buat perangai. One after another.

In my aunt's place in Ampang, which atok preferred to stay for some reason, she was very well taken care off. We would sometimes go and visit her and talk to her but sometimes she gets so moody for no apparent reason. Of course, when you are sick, you're bound to be moody so that what happened to atok I think.

Things took a severe turn for the last month or so. DUring my mom's surprise party, atok decided to tag along and during the 'party', she looked very pale and tired. Then, my sister and my aunt came back from the US for their summer holidays. That was the last time I saw atok walking about. 2 weeks ago she was admitted because she said she can't breathe. She was then discharge the next day as the doctor said she was ok to go home. Just a week after that, this time she was admitted to HDU unit as her blood pressure was very low.

I only got to know the seriousness of her illness recently. I was told that her heart is now 20% functioning. Basically, it's failing. Previously, her kidneys had failed and now her heart. Wifey said, that's one of the reason that she loses weight drastically. IF i'm not mistaken, she only weighs around 29-30kg as yet yesterday.

Last night, was the night when her doctor call for a family meeting. When I was told about it earlier, I felt strange. The doctor finally said that, in terms of medical care, they have done all they can. THere is nothing more that they can do. Atok is now on 10 day anti-biotic medication (due to some fungus infection near her stomach) and once she completes her 10 day anti-biotic medicine, she can go home.

Obviously, I'm sad over it. Like I mentioned, i've be goin to the hospital since day one she was admitted and will continue doing so if time permits. Later on this evening, I'm gonna bring kecik to visit her. Kecik pun asyik tanya 'nenek' mana..

1 comment:

  1. Alfatihah for our beloved Tok...She finally left us on the 14th of July @ 620am.. she's gonna be missed by her 11 children, 11 in laws and grandchildren...and also great grandchildren...i miss atok...
    mama yaya

    ReplyDelete