Thursday, November 3, 2011

Stamping of tenancy agreement

For the last couple of years, for the purpose of stamping of tenancy agreement(s), I would ask the help of a friend. So I would pay him some of amount of money and he gets the things done for me. Usually, he will take about a week.

Anyways, since I've just leased out my desa view condo to this new tenant about a couple of days ago, I decided to stamp the agreement myself. I have to be honest here, I've been a property investor for about 3 years now (I know, i'm still a baby...and still learning) but I've yet to do this stamping thingy on my own. Pemalas would be the exact word!! Hahahaha

So I spent a couple of hours yesterday settling this matter and pretty much a wee bit proud of being able to do it myself. Save me a few quid instead of asking some friends to do it for me....

Just a short note on the procedures for stamping of tenancy agreement

Step 1. Upon signing of the document between you and your tenants, you need to calculate the stamp duty required for stamping. So how do you calculate? I can only talk about my experience as I think there's more to it than what I already knew...

Supposed the monthly rental is RM850. So annual rental income is RM10,200.
There's an exemption of RM2,400 to be deducted from the annual income which comes to RM7,800 (10,200-2,400). Assuming the agreement is for one year period hence, the rate of the stamp duty will be RM1 for every RM250 exceeding RM2,400.

So, the stamp duty payable for the agreement is is RM7,800/RM250=RM31.20. (Rounded of to RM31). Hence, what you need to do is to go the post office and buy the setem hasil. Easy?

Step 2. Go to the LHDN office together with the original tenancy agreement, in which for my case, I went to kg Attap. I think if I can remember correctly it was on the 20th floor. Went straight to the stamping office. I was told to fill-in a form and need to wait a wee bit as the crowd can be large at times. I waited about 40 minutes before they call me up. Hahaha

So there you go, never that I thought it would be that easy but time consuming at the same time. I know that if we ask someone else to do it for us, they will certainly charge an amount but I think, it's better to do it yourself. Agents would probably make hefty money from offering this services to the masses. That's my opinion anyways. But again, if you don't have the time, you can always ask the agents to do it for you, and of course, it comes with a price.....









2 comments:

  1. Like your blog.Get landlord forms, rental application forms, lease agreements, eviction notice, lease options and more landlord documents online at Tenant Agreement

    ReplyDelete
  2. Masterfully written.Nicely written. I love succinct posts that actually impart usable information.Lease Agreements

    ReplyDelete